Curried Carrot Soup
by: Three Many Cooks
Serves: 6 to 7 cups, serving 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into large dice
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 large pinch sugar
- 3 large garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 1½ cups half and half or whole milk
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large deep sauté pan until shimmering. Add carrots and then onions; saute, stirring very little at first and more frequently at the end, until carrots start to turn golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add butter, sugar, and garlic; continue to cook until all vegetables are a rich spotty caramel color, about 10 minutes longer.
- Add selected curry powder; continue to sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute longer. Add broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce to low and simmer, partially covered, until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender; puree until very smooth, 30 seconds to a minute. Return to sauté pan (or a soup pot if pan is too shallow for milk addition); add enough milk so that mixture is thin enough to be soup, yet thick enough to float optional garnish. Heat through, ladle into small bowls. Garnish with a cilantro sprig, if you like.
Share Your Comments & Feedback: