Spicy Turkey Chili
And this one won't make the smoke alarm go off!
by: Three Many Cooks
- ⅓ cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium large onions, cut into medium dice
- 3 lbs ground chicken or turkey
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 can (16 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ounces bitter-or semisweet chocolate
- 1½ tablespoons cornmeal
- In a small skillet, heat chili powder, oregano, and cumin over low heat, stirring constantly, until spices are warm, darker in color, and fragrant, being careful not to burn them. In a soup kettle, sauté onions until soft, 4 to 5 minutes then add ground meat. Cook until it loses its raw color. Add the spice mix.
- Stir in tomatoes, and broth; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend, about 30 minutes. Stir in beans, garlic, and chocolate; simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle cornmeal over chili and stir in. Simmer to thicken chili, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Serve.
Share Your Comments & Feedback: