I served this with Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes with gravy. To make the gravy: after the meat is done, pour liquid from the slow cooker into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Dissolve a tablespoon of cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of water, added it to the saucepan, and whisk until the gravy has thickened.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs. pot roast
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 4 celery ribs, cut into thirds
- 2 sweet onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½ cup hard cider
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high heat until wisps of smoke rise. Generously sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the pot roast. Sear the roast until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Meanwhile, place all other ingredients in slow cooker. Nestle the pot roast on top of the vegetables. Cover and cook on low until the meat is tender and fully cooked, about 7 hours. Remove roast, slice, and serve with the cooked carrots.
Share Your Comments & Feedback: