There’s nearly always an appealing meatless option for many of our favorite dishes. That’s the big lesson I learned when writing Cook Without a Book: Meatless Meals.
Today’s recipe is a perfect example. A couple of years ago I wouldn’t have believed there was a satisfying BLT sandwich alternative, but there is.
Three things make this Meatless BLT great: smoked mozzarella, crumbled pita chips and Maggy’s special sauce–a mix of mayo, Dijon, and grated red onion–a recipe she picked up when working at a London pub a few years back. The smoky rich cheese coupled with the crumbled pita chips making pretty convincing bacon, and the sauce heightens the sandwich’s flavor.
Another tip: don’t skip lightly salting the tomatoes before putting them on this sandwich… or any salad or sandwich for that matter. It’s a simple, but important tweak.
Here’s to Meatless Monday fun!
- ¼ small red onion, grated
- ½ cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 slices good quality white bread
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella, sliced thin
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced thin and lightly salted
- 8 Romaine lettuce leaves, torn into large pieces
- ½ cup crumbled plain pita chips
- Mix onion, mayonnaise mixture, and mustard in a small bowl; set aside.
- While toasting bread, prepare mozzarella, tomatoes, and lettuce.
- Spread a portion of mayonnaise on each piece of toast and top with lettuce. Top 4 of the toast slices with tomatoes, cheese, and pita chips; cap with remaining 4 toast slices. Halve and serve.