Most on-the-go breakfasts aren’t especially good for you–muffins and pastries and such–and after eating a white carb breakfast like that, I’m starved by ten. Good-for-you breakfasts often require last-minute prep. That’s why I like these egg muffins. You make a little time investment one morning, and then for the next several days, your good healthy breakfast is just thirty seconds in the microwave away.
You can change the cheese or the add-ins, but I like the little flavor and color perk up you get from the pepper jack and chiles here.
Along with Maggy’s Trail Guide Nut and Seed Bars from last week, here’s another interesting and fun breakfast to add to your repertoire.
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup kefir or buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon salt and ground black pepper
- 6 ounces grated pepper Jack cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) mild green chiles
- A generous ½ cup small diced roasted red peppers
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375º. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin (with cups of ½ cup capacity) with vegetable cooking spray.
- Beat eggs with kefir, salt and several grinds of pepper. Stir in cheese, chiles, and peppers, reserving some of each for the tops. Mound a little cheese, along with chiles and peppers on each cup.
- Bake until golden brown and puffy, 18 to 20 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack. Serve. (Can be refrigerated for several days; microwave to warm.)