Fact: people like bark (we three cooks among them)–especially bark that’s made lighter–and crisper–with graham cracker or other thin cookies. Here’s our take on bark this year which cherries, almonds, and chocolate.
- 12 chocolate graham crackers
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces bitter- or semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped if large
- ¾ cup cocoa almonds, finely chopped
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Line pan bottom and up and over the long sides with heavy-duty foil for easy removal. Grease foil with vegetable cooking spray and then line with crackers, sugar side down, cutting as necessary to fit pan.
- Heat butter and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until simmering. Pour mixture evenly over crackers and working quickly, use a spatula to spread it.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 10 minutes. (Watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn) Remove from oven, and using fork tines, drizzle melted chocolates over the cookies. Sprinkle with cherries and almonds. Freeze until firm. Using foil handles, remove bar from pan. Break into pieces and serve.