We’re just two days away from hosting our third annual Big Summer Potluck, a weekend retreat for eighty-something food bloggers and sponsors. Not much time for writing this morning, but no matter. We don’t need to hard sell S’more Crispy Rice Treats!
This irresistible bar is the union of our two favorites treats–S’mores and Rice Krispy Treats. Here, we’ve used Erewhon Crispy Rice Cereal from one of our Big Summer Potluck sponsors, Attune Foods. The first two layers are distinctly S’more–graham crackers drizzled with melted butter and sugar and baked into a caramel crisp crust and topped with your best chocolate. The warm crust melts the chocolate which, in turn, glues the marshmallow-rice cereal mixture to the crust. There’s enough warmth from the marshmallow-cereal to adhere the mini marshmallows and chopped chocolate garnish without melting them.
School starts again–for many of us in just a few weeks. S’more Crispy Rice Treats are the perfect after school snack, but I’m enjoying them with afternoon tea. I’m also making them for our friends at the Big Summer Potluck too… which reminds me. I’ve got eighty people coming for dinner this Friday night. I’ve gotta make S’more Crispy Rice Treats!
- 8 whole graham crackers,
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 1 bag (10 ouces) miniature marshmallows, divided
- 2 4-ounce bitter or semi-sweet chocolate bars, broken into squares, ½ cup chopped and reserved
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line pan bottom and up and over the long sides of a 13- by 9-inch metal pan with heavy-duty foil. Spray pan bottom with vegetable cooking spray then line with crackers, cutting as necessary to fit the pan.
- Heat 6 tablespoons of the butter and the sugar in a large saucepan until butter melts and mixture starts to bubble. Pour over graham crackers and spread evenly. Bake until sugar bubbles, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, top with chocolate squares. Return to oven to melt chocolate, a couple of minutes longer. Spread chocolate over graham crackers.
- Meanwhile, return saucepan to burner. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and all but 1 cup of the marshmallows. Cook, stirring frequently, until well mixed and marshmallows melt. Stir in cereal until well incorporated. Turn rice cereal mixture over warm chocolate-topped crackers, pressing on mixture to evenly distributed. Sprinkle remaining chocolate and marshmallows over warm cereal mixture, pressing to adhere. Refrigerate to set.
- When ready to serve, use foil to lift bars from pan. Cut into bars with a vegetable spray-coated knife. Serve.