Quick, Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
by: Three Many Cooks
Serves: Makes 3½ to 4 quarts serving about 8
- 2 quarts chicken broth plus 1 quart water
- 1 store-bought roast chicken (preferably organic) meat picked from bones and pulled into bite-size pieces, bones and skin reserved separately
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions (2 cups), cut into medium dice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into round
- or half rounds, depending on size
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 cups egg noodles (I used regular pasta!)
- 1 cup (5 ounces) frozen green peas
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper
- While broth and water come to a simmer over medium-high heat in a large soup kettle, separate chicken meat from bones and skin and reserve. Add bones and skin to the simmering broth. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer until bones release their flavor, 20 to 30 minutes. Strain; reserve broth and discard bones and skin.
- Return kettle to burner set on medium-high. Add oil, then onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme, chicken, and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add noodles; simmer until soup ingredients are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in peas and parsley and adjust seasoning, including salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Today is the perfect day for soup! Looks tasty!
Cookin' Canuck says
This soup looks so hearty! I love that you used a store-bought roast chicken – it makes life so much easier.
Jen @ How To: Simplify says
Sometimes there’s nothing better than a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. I love how we both posted a recipe for chicken noodle soup this week…great minds think alike! This version looks great!
Jenny Flake says
Chicken noodle soup makes my life better! This one looks fabulous!
Debbie Phillips says
Yum. This will be served steaming hot in my soup mugs this weekend here in Raleigh. Nothing gives you the comforting feeling of home & love like chicken noodle soup. It’s just like a big hug & better than a dose of medicine.
What is better than a bowl of homemade chicken soup on a cold, crummy day? Love this!
I read one on the Foodbuzz contest that added some ginger and lemon in. Sounds like if I combine yours and hers I’ve got about the perfect chicken noodle soup 🙂 Kate @kateiscooking.blogspot.com
Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker says
Mmm I love homemade chicken noodle soup, this sounds amazing!
Will this freeze?
I love a quick soup recipe and chicken noodle is always so comforting. Pinning to try soon.