- 1½ cups each purple and green cabbage
- 1 medium mango, peeled, flesh cut from stone and cut into medium dice
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin
- ½- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons each: butter and vegetable oil
- 4 fish fillets (about 1½ pounds) or 1½ pounds fish fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- ¼ cup flour measured into a pie plate or other shallow pan
- Mix cabbage, mango, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Mound a portion of slaw on each of 4 plates.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in an 11-or 12-inch skillet over low heat. While pan is heating, sprinkle fish on both sides with salt and pepper then dredge in flour.
- A couple minutes before sautéing, increase heat to medium-high. When butter stops foaming and starts to smell nutty brown, arrange 2 fillets in skillet. Cook until light golden brown crust forms, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn with a thin metal spatula and continue to cook until light golden brown on the other side, about 1 to 3 minutes longer, depending on thickness of fish. Transfer fish to a wire rack and let stand. Add two remaining pieces of fish to skillet; repeat sautéing process. Top each slaw mound with a portion of fish and serve immediately.
Jenny Flake says
This fish dish looks incredible! I just had a tilapia with similar flavors at the Fish Market Restaurant…..it was so good!
I am loving the slaw!
Love the idea of the Mango Lime slaw. Wonder how it would work with peaches?
Michelle, I think peaches would be great. I was also thinking of blood oranges…yum!
Jen @ How To: Simplify says
This fish dish looks amazing! I love the mango slaw. I’ll have to try it the next time I prepare fish!
emt training says
Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
Mmm, yum! I’m loving anything with lime in it right now. 🙂
Thank you so much for posting this – it became dinner last night and boy was that slaw a hit! I used catfish and sprinkled it with salt, pepper and cayenne before dredging it in cornmeal…pretty good, considering I too am not the most brave when it comes to cooking seafood. Served it with roasted garlic and new potatoes tossed with chipotle hot sauce (I like my spice) and mini corn muffins. Thanks again!
Cookin' Canuck says
What a pretty dish! I like the combination of sweet and tangy in the slaw.
I love how you plated this! I’m a big fish fan. Give me fish and rice for breakfast any day. The slaw is a perfect side for it too. I always enjoy something tangy with fish. Beautiful!
I wish I could eat the picture!! Making this one very soon. Thanks, Sharon 😉