Simple Roast Salmon with Potatoes, Asparagus, and Lemon-Dill-Caper Drizzle
by: Three Many Cooks
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 whole side salmon (2½ to 3 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons pure olive oil, divided, and 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes or new red potatoes, halved
- 2 bunches (2 pounds) asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- ¼ cup each parsley and dill leaves, chopped coarse, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- ¼ cup capers and 2 teaspoons caper juice
- 3 medium scallions, sliced thin
- 1½ teaspoons finely grated lemon zest; remaining lemon cut into wedges for the platter
- Set salmon on a large rimmed baking sheet; coat both sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Toss potatoes with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper; place, cut side down, on a second rimmed baking sheet. Toss asparagus with remaining tablespoon of oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Adjust oven racks to lowest and upper-middle position. Place potatoes on bottom rack and salmon on upper rack of cold oven, then heat oven to 400 degrees. Roast until salmon is just opaque throughout, about 25 minutes, and potatoes are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer salmon to a large platter; add asparagus to salmon roasting pan; continue to roast, along with potatoes, until bright green and just tender, 5 to 8 minutes, depending on thickness. Meanwhile, mix parsley, dill, capers and juice, scallions, lemon zest, and extra-virgin olive oil in a small bowl; set aside.
- To serve, spoon dill mixture over salmon, garnishing platter with parsley, dill sprigs, and lemon wedges. Arrange potatoes and asparagus on platter with salmon. Serve immediately.
Lovely Alice from LA says
This is the simplest, most amazing recipe. I clearly was a little too “generous” with my salt the other night – Can you give a general guideline based on the quantities above?
Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy says
The simple preparation, the beautiful presentation remind me of your lamb feast from this spring. And since THAT turned out spectacularly well, you can bet I’ll be trying this one!
Julie T. says
I made this last night and it was fabulous. A definite keeper at our house. The presentation was so impressive…we even took pictures. Thanks.
This was such a great dish! The flavors were great and it was so easy! Check out my full review here: http://heatskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/11/salmon-with-potatoes-asparagus-and.html