There really isn’t a recipe for this, it’s more like a technique. Also, keep in mind: this is an event. You’re going to be eating them one by one—so keep the grill going and the drinks flowing. It’s a blast.
1. Get your grill nice and hot.
2. Place the oysters directly on the grate and close the grill.
3. The oysters are ready when they are just beginning to open (or smile), about 5 minutes but the timing will vary depending on how hot your grill is, so keep an eye on them.
4. When they’re done, use tongs to move them from the grill to a metal baking sheet.
5. Holding an oyster in a hand towel, insert a butter knife (or an oyster knife if you have one) into the opening and pry them open.
6. Loosen the oyster from the bottom shell, drizzle with hot sauce (we like Cholula), or squeeze a little lemon on it, and enjoy!