Local Beets and Greens Salad with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Vinaigrette
You will have leftover vinaigrette—a very good thing have around!
by: Three Many Cooks
- 2 bunches beets: beets trimmed, greens stemmed, both thoroughly washed and dried
- 1 large garlic clove
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 log (3½ ounces) goat cheese, crumbled
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap each beet in foil and place on a small baking pan. Roast until tender 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on beet size. When cool enough to handle, remove foil, peel (beet skins should slip right off), slice, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, thinly shred washed and dried beet greens with a chef’s knife. (You should have about 6 heaping cups of greens.) Place in a large bowl.
- Make vinaigrette by whisking garlic, vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Slowly whisk in oil until you reach the 1-cup mark.
- When ready to serve salad, add beets, onions, and goat cheese to greens. Add 6 tablespoons of the vinaigrette; toss to coat. Adjust seasonings including additional salt, pepper, or dressing if necessary. Serve immediately.
dental hygienist says
found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later
Jenny Flake says
Lovely salad!! I need this after the weekend eating I did 🙂
This is my kind of salad!
Jen @ How To: Simplify says
This salad looks absolutely delicious! I love goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette. I’ll have to add this to my “to make” list!
Looks healthy and delicious!
This looks great- I love beet greens but don’t see them in many rcipes. Thanks!
Fuji Mama says
Mmmm, I love beets in salads! This looks absolutely delicious.
Jamie | My Baking Addiction says
Whoa! This salad looks amazing…I may dream about it tonight!
Cookin' Canuck says
For some reason, I never cook with beets. This salad, however, is changing my mind. Looks wonderful!
Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen says
I don’t incorporate enough beets into salads. Confession: I don’t really eat salads. Maybe I would eat them more if I put beets in them! This salad looks lovely and simple. And I love how you put it on a cake stand! Clever idea.
I love the way the goat cheese looks in this salad. Goat cheese is definitely one of my faves, and I really need to start incorporating it more. I’m thinking I will make Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes. I’m Greek, so here’s to hoping I don’t mess it up too bad! Haha. The recipe is at http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/goat_cheese_stuffed_tomatoes_2.htm if you have any leftover goat cheese and want to try.
Thanks for sharing!
What a lovely salad! I must confess, at the risk of being cast out of the “foodie” community, that I … uhm … don’t like goat cheese. That said, this looks so tasty that I might be tempted to give it another chance.
This sounds great! I think this might be my ‘Sunday Salad’ this week! Thanks for the great idea! It looks absolutely beautiful, and i love pairing beets with goat cheese. Silly me, never thought to use the greens from the beets!!!
Barbara | VinoLuciStyle says
I’ve seen so many great beet recipes lately, I’ve got them on my list for the farmer’s market tomorrow. I’ve got a leftover appetizer of goat cheese that was rolled in cherries…thinking that will do just fine! Thanks.