Quinoa Salad with Mexican Flavorings
by: Three Many Cooks
Serves: 4 as a main course and 6 as a side dish
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into medium dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into medium dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each: ground cumin and chili powder
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 teapoon salt
- 1 cup fresh (from 1 to 2 shucked ears) or frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (about 16 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers; sauté until just tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.
- Stir in quinoa, 1½ cups water, and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until quinoa is just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn and beans; cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
melissa eimers says
I may try this! Looks quite delicious. And, I’m with you on the cilantro! It is one of those foods that my mom never cooked with and I had never had it until adulthood. I expected that I would have to learn to like it but, to borrow the phrase, It was love at first bite! A sure way to know that I will overdo it on dinner is if the dinner has a good helping of cilantro in there!
the inadvertent farmer says
This sounds delicious! Love quinoa and so do my kids, thanks for the recipe. Kim
Sounds so fresh and tasty!
Love this salad! Great flavors going on!
Cookin' Canuck says
We adore quinoa in our house and are always looking for new ways to use it. This looks like a healthy and delicious version.
Jenny Flake says
I LOVE quinoa, what a great salad!!
Jen @ How To: Simplify says
This sounds delicious!
Looks delicious and festive! Yum!
I love the combo of flavors in this dish. I may have to try getting my family to eat Quinoa again!