Nanny’s Victoria Sponge
If using regular all-purpose flour whisk 1½ teaspoons baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt to the flour
by: Three Many Cooks
- 12 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups self-rising flour *
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- Confectioner’s sugar for sprinkling
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Alternating between the two, add eggs and flour ⅓ at a time, beating until each is thoroughly incorporated.
- Beat in water and vanilla. Evenly divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let stand a couple of minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Spread top of one cake layer with jam, cap with remaining layer. Dust with confectioner’s sugar, slice, and serve.
Amy from She Wears Many Hats says
I can almost taste this topped with fresh berries. Yum, yum, yum.
I love love love this recipe. And I loved frosting a million mini cupcakes with you at that fundraiser. 🙂
Cookin' Canuck says
This is gorgeous and simple! I love the layer of raspberry jam.
On behalf of all American bakers, thank you so much for posting this recipe! I’ve been looking for a Victoria Sponge recipe that list ingredients by cups rather than by weight. I’m planning to make it this weekend with fresh strawberries and cream.
Can I use this recipe to make traditional fairy cakes for my daughter’s birthday party?
Pam Anderson says
I certainly don’t see why not! Good luck and let us k know how it goes.
Thank you so much for the recipe ! I’ve made it twice now, it’s so easy !! My British husband was quite impressed ☺️