Simple, Scrumptious Strawberry Shortcakes
by: Three Many Cooks
- 2 cups all-purpose bleached flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons sugar—3 for biscuits, 2 for sprinkling, 6 for berries, 1 for cream
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) frozen butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup cold half and half
- 1 package (16 ounces) strawberries, thawed and crushed
- 12 ounces fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and 3 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl. Grate frozen butter on the coarse holes of a box grater into dry ingredients; toss to coat.
- Mix egg and half and half; pour into flour mixture. Toss with a fork to form large clumps. Lightly press clumps into a ball.
- Turn dough onto work surface; press into a 7½- by 5-inch rectangle. Cut into 6 squares, placing them 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Sprinkle dough tops with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.
- Mix frozen and fresh berries with 6 tablespoons sugar in a bowl.
- Beat cream to soft peaks, gradually adding 1 tablespoon of sugar then vanilla.
- Split each cake. Spoon a portion of berries over each cake bottom, then a dollop of whipped cream over berries. Cap with cake top and serve immediately.
Jenny Flake says
Great recipe, looks perfect for a mother’s day treat this weekend!!
One of my favorite desserts!
great post as usual!
Cookin' Canuck says
You simply can’t beat strawberry shortcake and this looks like a wonderful version!
Jamie | My Baking Addiction says
Lovely recipe and perfect for a Mother’s Day dinner.
dental hygienist says
Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article
happy Mothers day Weekend!
I am being treated to a lovely dinner made by
several sweet people in my life today. They want a shortcake recipe….and here I open this up and what do you know, here it IS. Thanks, I have no doubt this will be wonderful.
Being treated with
Strawberry Shortcake and more
Fuji Mama says
I always love a good strawberry shortcake during strawberry season!
medical assistant says
My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
Jen @ How To: Simplify says
Strawberry shortcakes always remind me of childhood. What a great recipe!