Egg rolls are usually complicated…which is why we leave them to the pros at Asian restaurants. But here’s a recipe for the home cook. No vegetables to prep–just coleslaw mix and scallions bound with a little peanut butter. The cooking method is two-step. Simply blanch-fry the egg-rolls ahead. Stored in a Ziplock bag, they can be refrigerated for days in this state. When you’re ready to serve them, they flash-fry in a just a couple of minutes.
Why not make them for appetizers this weekend, and fry up the rest for Meatless Monday? Now that’d be the start of a vegetarian meal worth looking forward to.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus another 2 cups for frying
- 1 package (8 ounces) coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 8 egg-roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons each: Asian fish sauce and lime juice
- 1 tablespoon each: sugar and water
- ½ teaspoon each: ground ginger and hot red pepper flakes
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet until it starts to shimmer. Add coleslaw mix; stir-fry, seasoning lightly with salt, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour mixture into a medium bowl; stir in scallions and peanut butter until evenly distributed.
- Place an egg-roll wrapper on a work surface, one of the point ends facing you. Place a generous 2 tablespoons of filling just below center, forming it into a log. Fold in both sides of the wrapper over filling. Starting at end closest to you, fold wrapper over filling, then roll it as tightly as you can; moisten wrapper end with wet fingertips and press it to the roll to seal.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or small Dutch oven to 300 degrees. Fry egg rolls, 4 at a time and turning once, until fried through, but still blond, about 2 minutes. Drain on a wire rack until ready to serve. (Par-fried egg rolls can wrapped and refrigerated for several days.)
- About twenty minutes before serving, heat oil again, this time to 375 degrees. Cook egg rolls, 4 at a time and turning once, until crisp and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or Lime-Ginger Dipping Sauce.
- For the sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and serve.