- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons Italian seasonings
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add onion; sauté until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in Italian seasonings; cook until fragrant, less than a minute. Add tomatoes and baking soda, then chicken broth; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, to blend flavors, about 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, pour soup into a blender; puree, making sure to vent blender by removing pop-out center, and draping a kitchen towel over the top, until creamy smooth, 30 seconds to a minute. Return soup to pot, stir in milk, and heat to simmer, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 days; return to simmer) Ladle into bowls and serve.
This sounds like exactly what I’ve been trying to find or create.
Lauren S says
Just made this tonight for dinner and it was excellent! Only used half the milk and blended the first half well and the second half just a little to leave some small chunks (used one can of puree and one can of diced). Wow, hard to believe it was so lowfat. Great recipe Pam!