- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- 2 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto, cut into small dice
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken broth plus 2 cups water
- 1 box (10 ounces) chopped frozen spinach, thawed, but not squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottom Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and prosciutto; sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in rice. Add wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Add chicken broth and water. Cover pot with a sheet of heavy-duty foil, pressing the foil down so it rests on the broth. Cover pot with lid to insure an even tighter seal.
- Set pot in oven and cook for 25 minutes. Remove pot from oven and use a potholder to carefully remove lid and foil. Set pot over medium heat and remembering that pan is hot, add spinach and continue to cook, stir constantly, until rice is cooked with a little chew at the center and liquid is creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and serve.
Do you add the shrimp in with the spinach?
This recipe is just a formula which means you can add whatever excites you. I’ve taken the shrimp out of the ingredient list, but if you wanted to add shrimp or bay scallops, crab, or any other seafood, you’d add it at the end with the spinach. And of course, you can add fresh spinach instead of the frozen.