A few months ago I got a call from Babs Churnetz, the food editor of REDBOOK. They were featuring summer menus from food bloggers and would Three Many Cooks like to be part of the roundup? Our task was to develop a simple picnic that could easily travel. We three cooks love pizza, but heating the oven to 500 degrees on a 100-degree day is not our idea of fun. Plus cold pizza’s fine for leftovers, but hardly an ideal summer main course. Still, we wanted to do pizza, and so we found a way.
Rather than make dough from scratch or even buy pizza dough, we started with store-bought naan that we heated for five minutes, just enough to take the chill off. We spread the naan with cream cheese chockfull of red onion, capers, dill, and lemon zest, and then topped it with smoked salmon. Now here was a pizza that could travel.
For more of our recipes and other great summer menus from fellow food bloggers, Alice of Savory Sweet Life and Joy The Baker check out this month’s issue of REDBOOK.
- 4 store-bought naan breads
- 1 package (8 ounces) light Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup each: finely diced red onion and drained chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, lemon reserved (see note above)
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Lay naan directly on oven rack and bake until well heated, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, mix cream cheese with onion, capers, dill, and lemon zest; set aside.
- Shortly before serving, spread a portion of cream cheese over each naan and top with smoked salmon. Wrap in foil until ready to serve.
Cut the zested lemon into eighths and pack it for the picnic for squeezing onto the pizza. You may also want to pack up some extra dill for garnish.
What perfect, cool hors d’oeuvres to look forward to at the end of this hot day, thank you, Pam!
Melissa DeLong says
Lunch for tomorrow!
Congrats on the Redbook feature! I will have to pick up a copy!
HELP!! This sounds great for entertaining here in Florida, but it won’t print!
Pam Anderson says
We’ve done a little site work recently, I’m I’m thinking this might be affecting printing. I’ve got our tech pro checking on it, and I’ll keep you posted.
Just tried to print again and got it! Thanks
I just noticed the heading on my replies………..”Simon says”………….Like I never heard that before!
Pam Anderson says
Hah! It’s like me and the Pam Anderson jokes.
I do love pizza with more smoked salmon as topping. My favorite food all the time. I might gain weight eating this. I am going to make it soon. Love your recipe.