- 1 can (14.75 ounce) creamed corn
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Line pan bottom up and over the long sides with heavy-duty foil for easy removal. Grease foil with vegetable cooking spray.
- Microwave creamed corn in a covered 1-quart Pyrex measuring cup to a full boil (or in a medium saucepan over medium heat). Stir in 1 cup of the cornmeal to make a very thick pasty mush. (If mush is not stiff, microwave for another 30 seconds.) Whisk in buttermilk, then eggs and finally butter.
- Mix remaining 1 cup of cornmeal with flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda in a medium bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry; stir until just combined.
- Pour batter onto baking sheet and bake until stuffing is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand a few minutes and then use foil handles to transfer cornbread to a wire rack. Cool to room temperature and proceed with Poblano Chicken and Chorizo with Creamed Cornbread Stuffing.
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Yum! These sound lovely!
Tasty. Works well for cornbread dressing.