We eat avocados almost every day. They’re Andy’s most favorite food (and one of mine as well), but we rarely venture much further than standard guacamole and simple avocado-toast. Enter Gaby Dalkin‘s new book, Absolutely Avocados which serves up eighty fun recipes. Reflective of Gaby’s style, the recipes are are gorgeous and fun, infused with a fresh Southern California feel. There are a few classic recipes but mostly this is a book filled with new takes on on old favorites–avocado croque monsieur, avocado brownies, avocado caesar dressing, and parmesan-panko avocado fries!
It’s hard to choose a favorite, but I am taken with cover recipe, Goat Cheese Guacamole. (How come it never occurred to me to add goat cheese to guacamole?). In addition to the goat cheese, Gaby also flavors this guacamole with sun dried tomatoes, chives, and a squeeze of lemon. Last month I had several girlfriends over for an impromptu Cinco De Mayo gathering, and I served Gaby’s Goat Cheese Guacamole. The girls were more interested in the guacamole than my frozen margaritas! And that’s sayin’ a lot.
The ‘Guacamole Challenge’ and the winner with Gaby! (Photos courtesy of Brian Samuels)
At this year’s Big Traveling Potluck we hosted a guacamole challenge, and who else could we possibly ask to judge than the avocado queen herself? Each of sixteen teams started with a big bowl of mashed avocado and had access to fifty or so of Gaby’s suggested add-ins. Before they got to work, Gaby shared her best guacamole tips: use the best ingredients, feature a fresh herb, and always add a little ‘pizzazz’ like grilled corn, roasted poblano peppers, (or that goat cheese I’m so focused on). Keeping Gaby’s tips in mind, each team created a signature guacamole. After Gaby picked a winner, we all enjoyed the fruits of our labor.
As summer approaches and the avocado count in our apartment increases, we Keet’s will keep Absolutely Avocados in heavy use!
- 3 Hass avocados
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Cut each avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin, and place the avocado flesh in a bowl.
- Add the goat cheese, chives, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mash with a fork until half smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chip.
Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today says
I need this book, I love avocados so much.
Love ya Mags 🙂 xoox
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche says
Oh yummm. I loove guacamole and I LOVE goat’s cheese! Never tried the two together, but I think this must be rectified soon!