When I plan an appetizer party, chicken wings usually make the list. I’ve got a couple of recipes I rely on like the Roasted Lemon Chicken Wings we ran a few years ago. For our annual Christmas Eve hors d’oeuvre party, I got the urge to try something new, so I combed the Internet and landed on a recipe for Grilled Turmeric and Lemongrass Chicken Wings.
I was drawn to the recipe because our family likes anything that calls for coconut milk. Plus I had tubes of Gourmet Garden lemon grass, ginger, and garlic, which would dramatically reduce prep time. Using that recipe as a guide I made the wings and Maggy photographed them. Our plan was to share the recipe with you the week before the Super Bowl.
I didn’t think much about those wings until it came time to run them. As I thought back I realized a lot of the marinade ended up down the drain, and so the wings weren’t as flavorful as I wanted. And given how cold it is for so many of us around the country (and for all of the many urban dwellers who don’t own a grill) I decided to oven roast them.
So making a few recipe adjustments and using the oven, I tried them again yesterday. Not good! The wet marinade caused the wings to steam and as the moisture evaporated, the marinade started to burn.
Fortunately I bought a double batch of chicken wings, and I decided to follow my technique in Roasted Lemon Chicken Wings, roasting the wings plain to start and adding the spiked coconut milk the last few minutes of cooking.
To me, they’re perfect now. Just note: the photo here is of the grilled wings. By the time I perfected the recipe, it was too dark to photograph, so these wings look more like Roasted Lemon Wings. To simplify preparation, I highly recommend using the tubes of Gourmet Garden lemon grass, ginger, and garlic.
Enjoy the game, and may the best team win!
- 4 pounds chicken wings, split and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Gourmet Garden Lemon Grass Paste (4 lemon grass stalks, minced)
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste (1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger)
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic Paste (3 garlic cloves, minced)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus extra for squeezing
- 1 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- Toss wings with oil, a light sprinkling of salt and pepper and the sugar in a medium bowl. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray; arrange wings in a single layer.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and place pan in cold oven. Turn oven on and heat oven to 450 degrees. Roast until golden brown on the bottom, about 30 minutes. Remove wings from oven and turn them (some may stick, but will loosen up as they sit a few seconds); continue to roast until golden brown, about 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour coconut milk mixture over the wings after forty minutes of cooking. Continue to roast wings to blend flavors, about 5 minutes longer. Turn onto a platter and serve, squeezing with extra lime juice to taste.
Janese Wills says
Loved these wings! Found the Gourmet Garden items at Walmart. Only thing I did different was cover the pan with foil sprayed well with cooking spray. Made for easy clean up. Thank you Pam! You and Ina Garten are my “go to” cooks when I need a recipe.