- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced to paste
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons pure olive oil
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano),
- 4 frozen hash brown patties, still frozen, cut into 1-inch squares (see below)
- 1 generous tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups chopped lettuce from 3 large romaine hearts
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ¼ cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Whisk lemon juice, mayonnaise, garlic, Worcestershire, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil to make a creamy dressing, stir in cheese, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Place frozen hash brown cubes in medium bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; toss to coat. Add hash browns to hot skillet; toast, turning the cubes only once, until crisp and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Turn off skillet and let hash browns stand until ready to toss.
- Place lettuce and eggs in a large bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Add hash browns; toss again. Add cheese: toss once more. Serve immediately, sprinkling each salad with a little more Parmesan cheese if you like.
Use a microplane, if you’ve got one, for grating the cheese that gets stirred into the dressing. Switch to a coarse grater or even a vegetable peeler for the cheese that’s sprinkled over the finished salad.
A wonderful recipe….My husband and I loved every tasty morsel.
Ellen Ransley says
Great recipe – the dressing is especially good. Will definitely make again!
Kent Lindholm says
You’ve done it again. I haven’t tried the salad yet but the dressing is great. We had it on our homegrown greens.
Kent in Arvada, Co.
Shirley Lanners says
made the Caesar salad and added stir-fried shrimp and also some blueberries. It was yummy, thanks!
Jan Roberts says
This was a huge hit! We are garlic-lovers, so I upped the garlic to 4 big cloves. I also baked the hash brown squares (easier and added a little less oil) And oh yeah, some of that yummy Costco roasted chicken also found its way in…
Thank you, ladies! Another winner! This is the first time I’ve commented, but I really enjoy your recipes and your stories, good job!
I found your recipe in USA Weekend, and sent it to many friends. We are trying it this week! I have so many hash browns in my freezer, so this recipe will be perfect to help eat them up! I love the shrimp and blueberry idea, also! I’m so glad I found you guys!
I saw this recipe first in my Sunday paper’s Parade section and loved it. I’m so glad to have found you through The Pioneer Woman!
This is a wonderful, flavorful salad. My husband and I love Caesar salad and this is fantastic at home! Bravo for the hash browns instead of croutons.
This was one of the yummiest salads I have ever put in my mouth! We loved it. 🙂 My three boys ate it up as well. I have never made my own caesar dressing, so thankyou, you taught me something new. It was so yummy.