We’re into edible plates. A few weeks ago we gave you Basil-Prosciutto Salad on Watermelon Plates. Today we offering up Grilled Chicken Souvlaki Salad on pita plates. We’re also into efficiency, so we like that the perked up yogurt mixture serves a double purpose. We use some to marinate the chicken. The rest serves as the creamy, tangy dressing.
Maggy and I are off in vacation this coming week, but we’re still in business. We have a few posts in the bank, and you’ll be hearing from Sharon too.
Enjoy the weekend and the upcoming holiday week!
Pam, Maggy, and Sharon
- 1 cup plain yogurt (If you can find it, Green Valley Organics)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 4 teaspoons for pitas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 minced garlic cloves, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1 pound), halved crosswise to make 4 thin cutlets
- 8 cups prepared salad greens such as arugula or baby field greens
- 2 cups each: halved cherry tomatoes and seedless diced cucumbers, lightly salted
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup pitted chopped kalamata olives
- 4 large pocket-less pitas
- Mix yogurt, 3 tablespoons of the oil, lemon juice, 1 of the garlic cloves, oregano, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour half the yogurt mixture in quart zipper-lock bag; add chicken and let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (Can be refrigerated for 2 days.) Reserve remaining yogurt mixture as the salad dressing.
- When ready to serve, heat a gas grill igniting all burners on high for at least 10 minutes or build a hot charcoal fire. Clean grate with a wire brush and then lubricate well with an oil-soaked rag. Meanwhile, put arugula, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, feta, and olives in a large bowl. Mix remaining 4 teaspoons of oil with remaining 2 garlic cloves and brush over one side of each pita.
- Place chicken on hot oiled rack and grill until impressive grill marks form, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken over with a spatula and continue to cook until chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Add pitas, oiled side up, the last 2 minutes of grilling. As chicken comes off the grill, turn pitas and continue to grill until golden brown on remaining side, another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place a pita on each of 4 pasta plates. Toss salad with dressing, mounding a portion of salad on each of the pitas. Serve.