Since cutting back on our meat consumption, I have been looking for a way to make our weekly fajita night meat-free too. A few times I tried throwing extra vegetables into the roasting pan, but Andy and I both still felt they lacked filler – something that was healthy, but made us feel full. Since quinoa is packed with protein, I developed a quinoa-black bean fajita filler that’s flavorful and easy to make. Instead of using olive oil or another flavorless oil, I used virgin coconut oil. I used it because I love coconut and its flavor really works here. But I also used coconut oil because I’ve been learning about its health benefits. If you can’t find coconut oil, any other mild flavored oil will work fine.
These were a huge success!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- large garlic cloves
- large handful of cilantro leaves, about a cup
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- Bring 2 cups of water, the quinoa, and ¼ teaspoon salt to boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Along with black beans, place quinoa into a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and cilantro in food processor. Add lime juice and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper; process to combine. Add coconut oil; process again to combine. Because quinoa is like a sponge and absorbs the dressing quickly, toss the quinoa and black beans with the dressing right before serving for boldest flavor. Serve warm.
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Mmm this sounds lovely! Great idea for fajita filling!
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche says
This looks so light and fresh – and tasty!
Mary Beth Gonzalez says
Yum – My husband loves quinoa so this is a must try!
So totally divine! I want this right now! Love the beans-quinoa combo, especially with cilantro! May add feta and mango too…
Quinoa is one of my favorite meals right now and I am taking ideas everywhere! Thanks for this recipe 🙂
Amy (runswithspatula) says
I LOVE this recipe! I made it yesterday and it was fabulous! I cook quinoa all the time, but this was my first experience with coconut oil. The flavor combo was incredible. I can’t wait for my lunchtime leftovers today! I shared this recipe (by link) on my blog for meatless Monday. I will make this again. Thanks!
Made this tonight (minus the black beans, which I forgot). Delicious! Seriously, it’s making me wonder if I ever have need for a steak fajita again. Nice work, Maggy!