- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce, medium heat (Pace brand)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces (about 4 cups) tortilla chips
- 2 ounces (about ⅓ cup) crumbled queso freso
- Heat picante sauce and 1 tablespoon cilantro in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat; continue to simmer, stirring frequently at the beginning and constantly at the end, until sauce starts stick to the pan, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth; bring to a simmer.
- Crack eggs into sauce and lightly sprinkle them with salt. Cover and simmer eggs until desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes. Spoon eggs onto a plate; continue to simmer until it returns to salsa consistency, 1 to 2 minutes. Off heat, stir chips into sauce until well coated, spoon a portion onto each of 4 plates; arrange an egg alongside. Sprinkle each dish with a portion of cheese and remaining tablespoon of cilantro. Serve.
This is usually my first meal when I’m in Mexico.
I try to eat a simliar regime ie. 2 to 3x meatless – though not on specific days. I think of it as a way to be a more diverse and healthier eater. The challenge for me, as a cook and eater though, is that meat provides a lot of dimensions (flavour, tummy satisfaction, palate). So I try to use satisfying and varied textures in my veg mains: curried chickpeas, roasted cauliflower, king oyster mushrooms, toasted almonds, roasted brussel sprouts, artichokes etc.
It’s a lot easier to make the mental and culinary shift if the stomach doesn’t feel like it’s missing out. I think of it as cross-training my palate 🙂
You’re so right, Eva. I really like the “cross-training” analogy.
Just printed this recipe — I love vegetarian meals, but I agree with others that it takes quite a bit of my imagination to make it really exciting — So Pam, may you lead us in cross-training our palates!
Sounds like a great Sunday Brunch dish!
Great idea for a weekend brunch!
Cookin' Canuck says
I love the eggs on here. I could eat this every morning.
Mmm, perfect for brunch!
Jen @ How To: Simplify says
This is a wonderful idea for breakfast!