- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup milk, plus a tablespoon or so extra if necessary
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil for brushing pan
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour buttermilk and milk into a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Whisk in egg white; mix yolk with melted butter, then stir into milk mixture. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed.
- Meanwhile, heat griddle or large skillet over strong medium heat. Generously brush pan with oil. When water splashed on the surface confidently sizzles, pour batter, about ¼ cup at a time, onto the griddle, making sure not to overcrowd the skillet. When pancake bottoms are brown and top surface starts to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes, flip cakes and cook until remaining side has browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
susan Hickok says
just like it says — Light and Fluffy — and oh, so good!
These are the BEST pancakes I’ve ever eaten! I’ve been eating them for over two years now and wouldn’t make anything else!