- 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie shell
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each), pricked with a fork
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) canned condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs plus 2 yolks
- Whether you’re using homemade or boxed refrigerated dough, have pre-baked pie shell ready. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Microwave sweet potatoes on high power until fork-tender, 9 to 10 minutes. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and mash flesh with a fork.
- Along with ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt, add mashed sweet potatoes to a large saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until potato starts to stick to pan bottom, about 5 minutes. Add condensed and evaporated milks; cook until sputtery. Whir eggs and yolks in a blender. With blender running, add a cup or so of the hot pumpkin mixture, a large spoonful at a time, to temper eggs. Add remaining pumpkin mixture; continue to puree to form a silky texture filling.
- Pour warm filling into warm pie shell. Bake until a thin-bladed knife inserted into the center of the filling comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack until warm or room temperature. Serve.
How long and what temp do you prebake your crust? Your crust looks more than partially baked. I’ve made your pumpkin pie before and it was very good, but I can’t remember how I baked the crust. Thank you.