I was looking through the original Perfect One-Dish Dinner table of contents the other day and realized that for some reason this incredibly appealing chicken salad never made it into the book. I’m thinking now’s time to debut it. Enjoy!
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, microwaved on high power for 15 seconds
- ½ cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 cups shredded meat from a very large or 2 small rotisserie chickens
- 16 dried apricots (a generous ½ cup) cut into small dice
- ½ cup chopped roasted salted almonds
- 4 large scallions, sliced thin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Whisk cream cheese, jam, and lime juice in a small bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Serve.
This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it. I also like how it’s not mayo based like so many chicken salads are.
Lovely Alice from LA says
Can’t wait to try this!
I always love sweet and savory mixed. This looks like the perfect lunch. I’d have a few saltines with it 😉
Brian @ A Thought For Food says
Chicken salad is one of the few things I miss from my meat eating days… and seeing this outstanding dish is just not helping. Now I’ll be dreaming about chicken….
This just looks and sounds wonderful!
Ann Packard says
So I have had this printed for a week or so, and finally made it yesterday. However, I did not use a rotisserie chicken (wondering if this is the answer), just chicken I had cooked and cut up. But I do have some questions.
I love all these flavors – but I want it to have more explosions of flavor and crunch. I tried adding more basil, nuts and celery, a little salt and freshly cracked pepper. It helped – but I want more. What would you recommend to add to step up the flavor?
Whenever I find my dishes lacking, it usually needs a either a little salt or acid. Clearly rotisserie chickens are well seasoned, so it could the salad just might need a sprinkling of salt. Acid would be the lime juice–try squirting in an extra hit of that and see what you think.
Good luck! Pam
I have been looking for the perfect chicken salad recipe and I think I found it! I made this today and beside some variations – peach jam because I had some canned in the pantry, light cream cheese and raw almonds – it was beyond amazing! I never thought to use cream cheese instead of mayo but will from now on. Thank you!
it so simple, right.