Here’s another of the hors d’oeuvres I made for Sharon and Tony’s wedding reception last Friday night. I especially like this one since it doubles as a simple meatless main course. If you can’t find pocketless pitas, you can also use store-bought naan bread (which they’ve started selling at Costco) or pizza crusts.
If you’d like to use these same toppings on fresh pizza dough, scatter the stretched dough with the caramelized onions and plumped cherries and partially bake them. Top them with cheese the last five minutes of baking.
Happy New Year to you all!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, halved and sliced thin
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 2 cups grated aged Guyere cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 4 large (7-inch) pocket-less pitas
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté, stirring frequently, until caramel brown, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile heat cherries and kirsch in a small saucepan over low heat until cherries soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Scatter a portion of onions and cherries, and then cheese over each pita. Bake until chese melts and crust is golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Cut each pita into 8 triangles and serve immediately.
These are really my new favorite appetizer. I haven’t yet made them for dinner, but I will be. And I think I prefer them on the naan bread, it’s a bit more like the pizza dough than a pita. I’m thinking of other combinations and toppings I could do too!
Sounds delicious, quick and easy. My kind of appetizer. Happy New Year!
Lori @ RecipeGirl says
Wow, talk about jazzing up the flavors of a pizza!! These work for me 🙂 A must try.
Natanya @ Fete & Feast says
Pizza made on pita crust is a family favorite because it’s fast and easy. They do great on the grill too. I love this combination of toppings – so unexpected.
Dan Macey says
They were my favorite at the party. The cherries were a great sweet surprise. It is a great appetizer.
Elizabeth @Mango_Queen says
This looks like an amazing appetizer! I must try this. Your recipes look so easy & effortless. I’ve already tried a few. Loved the previous “Shove It In the Oven Chicken” ! Thanks again for this pita pizza!
Oh, just make me a whole one of these babies! Yuuuuumy!!
Mary Miller | A Passionate Plate says
I love this idea! Did you use Greek style pita? I will be trying these out on Sunday.
@Mary If you use Greek pitas, just make sure they’re pocketless. Store bought Naan works great too.